Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Story: Friends

As Jesse has so accurately described, while he was living in Virginia for the first time (~20 months), we were "just friends" and largely got to know each other through the group activities that were arranged by various people at work. As I was with Jesse when he first met his girlfriend of that time, I had my own friendship with her and served as listening ear to each at various times.

On Jesse's last day in the area, I took the time to go over and help with the final re-painting and packing. It was my way of saying good-by to a friend I knew I might never hear from or see again. It wasn't an emotional good-by. I don't remember for sure, but, when the work was done, I may have simply walked away while Jesse was talking with another friend.

I also am terrible at keeping up with friends once they leave my area. (That's part of the reason I love blogs, but that could be it's own rambling post.) I always start out with good intention, but with rare exception, the e-mails and phone calls become less frequent, shorter, and eventually stop. So, as Jesse has already stated, looking back, it was something of a miracle that we did stay in touch. I managed to remember to answer e-mails and just generally tried to keep him informed of people and events in the area for his weekend trips back down to northern Virginia.

A few times during his visits in Virginia, I was surprised at the events he chose to make it to. I would wonder, "Is he really that interested in the event? That desperate for something to do? Or is he just doing this to see me?" But as I was comfortable with "just friends," I refused to read anything more into it. Addtionally, I was so overwhelmed and stressed at work, I had no time to give it any further thought or consideration.

Even as Jesse moved back into the area in January 2005, I was still very stressed at work. I was simply happy for Jesse that he wouldn't have to make the long drives between PA and VA as often and would get to spend more time with Jeremiah.

Continue: The Story: But First a little Detour

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home