Monday, May 15, 2006

Weekend

The weekend was....I'm not sure what adjective I want to use. It was a weekend that in some ways was rather scheduled and busy; in other ways it was relaxing. And the pleasure was I got to spend almost all of it with Jesse!

On Friday, I left work a bit earlier than usual to make it to a clogging performance for a pre-school hoedown. We only had eight cloggers there for the performance--much smaller number than ideal, but then the stage was small and we only danced a few songs, so it worked out. The stage was a challenge--a flatbed trailer on regular tires. Probably the most descriptively accurate comparison I heard--it was like dancing on a trampoline with 7 other people. After our short performance, we led the the group in some small-circle figures. I don't know for sure how many people we had dancing--well over 100. We had very good participation from the around 400 people at the party--over half of them 1st grade age or younger.

Food at the party was made available to the cloggers, so most of the group stayed for a bit--eating, watching the party, and listening to the hoedown caller lead the group in several more dances. As the party was wrapping up, Jesse and I headed back to my place to watch a movie--Sliding Doors. It was a movie that plays with the idea of "what if" and is centered around an English woman (Gwenyth Paltrow) who is living with a boyfriend that is cheating on her and whether she discovers the affair the same day she is fired from her job.

Saturday, there was a special price at King's Dominion for A/G youth groups. Jesse was trying to get our youth group to go and I was planning to go too, but with it being the weekend of the prom and other conflicts, none of the kids ended up going. When none of the kids showed up to go, we decided to skip the trip and show up for the clogging performances scheduled for the day.

The clogging was at the Loudoun Museum in Leesburg. Our group was originally scheduled for 12:30, but as a last minute change, they asked us to perform in two slots--11:30 & 12:30. Similar to Friday night, we danced just a few dances at 11:30, then invited the audience to join us and taught them a few small-circle figures. After the second performance, the museum provided some food for the cloggers. Most of the group watched the next performance--square dancers--while we ate. The square dancers also invited members of the audience to participate in part of their performance, so Jesse and I were able to do a bit of square dancing. A bit of shopping in Leesburg and then we each headed home to work on some projects around 3:30. We got back together in the evening to relax and catch another movie.

Sunday morning was breakfast service. I was a little late making it to church, but only missed the first part of the worship songs. After church, we headed down to the Green Valley Book Fair--almost 2 hours away. We browsed and shopped for 3.5 hours, each picking up a couple of bags of books. They locked the doors behind as as we headed back home at 7:00. Back at my place, we heated up some chili for supper and started reading our books. What a great way to end the weekend!

P.S. Yes, we both remembered to call home for mother's day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home