Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Story: Charlessa's Wrap-Up (Two Years)

Two years ago, Jesse and I had just agreed to start dating.

Jesse remembers lots of nervousness and awkwardness the night he asked if we could date. I've said it a couple of times in half-jest, but it has truth. When he asked, he was so nervous he wasn't even looking at me. I just wanted him to relax and give me that cute smile of his. Of course, the quickest way to get that was to say "yes" to his tenatively stated request....so that's what I did. I was well-rewarded with one of his biggest grins (of relief)....and the start to what has been the best adventure of my life!

In one summer, to go from not even thinking beyond my individual, independent lifestyle to dating one of my best friends was quite a transition for me. While Jesse may have felt awkward in how to act around me, I think I was feeling even more awkward trying to figure out what I was feeling and thinking! While he kept flowers at my work and notes to remind me of him, I wasn't noticing much awkwardness on his part!

Several weeks into the relationship, I had so many questions spinning in my head, I couldn't even start to sort them out. I ended up meeting with the pastor and his wife for some counseling one evening. I first had to reassure everyone that it was NOT pre-marital counseling I was wanting! It was still months later before I could even think about the possibility of marriage without sending my mind into a spin.

We had the usual variety of dates--plays, dinners, movies, bookstores. And some highlights too--camping and white-water rafting with the church, thanksgiving with his family, new years with my family, and his sister's wedding. (Probably more that I'm missing at the moment.) And, of course, dozens of chat sessions--late at night after clogging, after church on Sunday, or just whenever we could happen to get together after work, or even DURING work (for the few months he worked about a mile from the college and we could do lunch).

We had a very happy 9 months that we spent dating. And as long as people will allow me, I'll say that we are still dating--2 years and counting!

But about 8.5 months after we started dating, Jesse started hinting on his blog that there was a "Big Day" coming.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home