Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Who'd have thought? Not I!

SJ over at Keeping Up puts up some great posts (the one I'm thinking of at the moment is Defective Christian). Her struggle with really getting into the Word and enjoying it the way that a Christian ideally should is "me too". Most of my reading of the Bible is relatively dry, in that I don't usually get excited about the reading. I like it and I'm usually touched by what it has to say to me, but I can't say that I usually enjoy it and finding it fascinating.

That has changed now that I have someone there studying it with me. We've just finished reading through Exodus and its looooooong descriptions of the tent, the ark, the altars, the utensils, the curtains, the framing, the clothing, etc. It's actually been less painful that I was fearing, and even at points it has been fun and interesting! I doubt that I've suddenly become a more fervent Christian (though I can hope!), so my only explanation is Charlessa. Having someone there who can discuss things, who will offer their own insights, and who encourages just by being company and a companion in the endeavor boosts the enjoyment and delight in studying the scriptures.

If iron sharpens iron, Jesus attends when 2 or more are gathered in His name, and companions mean there is someone to pick the other up, then shouldn't married couples be the ultimate fighting force in the Christian world? Where else is there the constant rubbing which sharpens and soothes? Who has the opportunity to more regularly join together in Christ? Who else knows most intimately and is there most constantly to see when encouragement and assistance is needed?

I had thought that having the extra "pressure" to be a spiritual leader would help me to seek the Lord more diligently through reading and prayer. But I didn't imagine that being with Charlessa would, just through the companionship, change my feelings about seeking God quite so much!

Being married is SO cool!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home